UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

May 24, 2015

Getting Lippy with Burt's Bees

one little vice beauty blog: natural, cruelty free lipstick lipgloss and tinted lip balms



Burt's Bees is one of those brands that I grew up seeing everywhere. As a teenager I went through countless tubes of their Beeswax Lip Balm and I always saw friends and family members using other bits and pieces from their extensive range. However, apart from their standard lip balm I hadn't had the opportunity to try out the rest of their range - until now! I was very kindly sent a selection of Burt's Bees lip products - from tinted balms to opaque lip crayons - to test out and today I'll be sharing my thoughts on each of the products.


hydrating natural lip colour: one little vice beauty blog
hydrating natural lip colour: one little vice beauty blog



With this Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm it was pretty much love at first application, and it most certainly exceeded my expectations! Hibiscus is the most beautiful peachy-pink shade in a gorgeous sheer, but not too sheer, formula that glides onto your lips giving them with just the right amount of colour, shine and nourishment. They do make a visible difference to the look of your lips, the colours are subtle but noticeable with just enough shine to leave your lips looking plumper. If you're not really "into" lip products and want something very low maintenance then this is a great choice. However, even as a lip product lover I think that these Tinted Lip Balms merit a place in every woman's handbag as they does so much whilst still being effortless to apply and wear. Plus, they're packed full of great ingredients like Shea Butter, Beeswax, Olive Oil and Coconut Oil so they really do your lips some good, keeping them looking their best all day long. 


semi-sheer red tinted lip balm: one little vice beauty blog
one little vice beauty blog: red semi-sheer tinted lip balm review



Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers are more pigmented that the Tinted Lip Balms and they also have a slightly frosty finish and a powerful minty fragrance. The formula is light but still has a creamy texture that feels very hydrating on the lips thanks to Castor Seed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Beeswax, Shea Butter and other nourishing ingredients. The finish of these Lip Shimmers isn't my favourite but I do really like the semi-sheer colour that they offer, it means that even this cherry-red shade is very wearable rendering them a great alternative to lipstick. The Lip Shimmers are definitely easier to apply and maintain than lipstick, and the shimmer itself is subtle but still helps to excentuate the appearance of your lips - helping them to appear fuller. All in all, I think that they definitely add something to Burt's Bees lip product range and they're different enough from the Tinted Lip Balms to justify owning both!


super shiny natural cruelty free lip balm: one little vice beauty blog
cruelty free natural lip gloss semi-sheer super shiny: onelittlevice beauty blog



Burt's Bees Lip Shines have the sheerest formulation out of the products I tried; they give just a hint of colour with an icy, glass-like shine. I adore glossy lips, there's something about them that's incredibly glamourous and alluring. However, Burt's Bees Lip Shines are so much better than traditional glosses as they're packed full of good ingredients such as Castor Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Beeswax, Shea Butter and Cocoa Seed Butter. Not only do these Lip Shines leave your lips looking gorgeous when you apply them but they'll also do them a lot of good in the long-run by keeping them hydrated. I found the Lip Shines incredibly comfortable to wear as they aren't sticky, but this does mean that they need to be reapplied frequently for full-effect. My favourite way to wear Pucker is over the top of Burt's Bees Lip Crayons (which offer a lot of pigmentation and last well on the lips), this combination gives long lasting colour and high-shine which is my preference. But if you love simple makeup that will also leave your lips looking plumped and juicy then these Lip Shines are a great choice. 


opaque natural cruelty free lip gloss: onelittlevice beauty blog
one little vice beauty blog: cruelty free, natural opaque lip gloss



In my opinion, Burt's Bees Lip Glosses apply and wear like liquid lipsticks - offering a lot of pigmentation, long lasting colour and just a touch of shine. These Lip Glosses have a classic doe-foot applicator that makes them very easy to apply evenly and precisely, and the formula isn't sticky or "slippy". Once you apply the lip gloss it seems to slightly melt into your lips - this is probably becuase of the nourishing Sunflower Oil, Castor Seed Oil and Olive Oil - leaving them feeling very hydrated and comfortable. The Lip Gloss will transfer if your eat or drink, but it doesn't seem to bleed  and it didn't end up on my teeth which is something I'm always nervous about with these sorts of products. Overall, I think it's a lovely, comfortable Lip Gloss and the colour pay-off is absolutely fantastic, but if you want something super glossy or sheer then you'd be better off with Burt's Bees Lip Shines.


opaque natural cruelty free lipstick: one little vice beauty blog
one little vice beauty blog: opaque lipstick cruelty free natural review



I think I may have potentially saved the best until last, as these Lip Crayons are pretty darn incredible. I'm always a little bit sceptical about chubby lip crayons but these ones from Burt's Bees are some of the best that I've ever tried. They offer a highly pigmented dose of colour in a comfortable semi-matte - the crayon shape makes the colour easy to apply, and the formula is packed full of noursihing oils (Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil and Kendi Oil) to keep your lips feeling and looking smooth and hydrated. It's a winning formula and the shade range is really gorgeous too! Napa Vineyard is a deep berry, verging on red, that makes a striking statement alone, but can also be worn under one of Burt's Bees Lip Shines if you prefer a glossy finish. It's lovely to find great quality makeup that's so easy to apply and so comfortable to wear and I think that they're probably the standout product from the range that I've tried.


Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with Burt's Bees' lip product range & I think that there's going to be a formula and colour to suit just about everyone. My favourite out of the products I've tried is the Tinted Lip Balm in Hibiscus (it's just the perfect shade and easy to wear formula) and the Lip Crayon in Napa Vineyard. Have you tried anything from Burt's Bees before?
Share:

10 comments

  1. I love Burt's Bees, I really want to try more from their range! I didn't know they did so many types of lip product - thanks for sharing!!

    Jess xo
    http://just-jesss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the lip gloss and the lip crayon! So pretty!

    Stephanie xxxx
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/hope-freedom-love-3436251

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to see this post because I've been curious about the range for a while but it's not in shops here (like everything- thin town, no shops!) I think the tinted lip balm is the one for me if I ever order online!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how many formats they have available!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to try these they look very nice and well pigmented for a tinted lip balm. Thanks for sharing :)

    Ana - hushhush990.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY love the lip range from Burts Bee's! I'm glad you're enjoying them too :)

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burt's Bees do such a nice range of lip products now, I use Hibiscus all of the time.
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realise Burts Bees did so many different lip products! Can't believe how pigmented these are. Will definitely think about picking up a tinted lip balm and lip crayon xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been keeping an eye out for that Hibiscus Tinted Balm ever since you gave it the rave review - I love keeping light shades like this in my purse for quick touch ups!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought the cherry shimmer. I can't wait to get it. I hope it doesn't have any pink in it. I only wear reds.

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig